KDE system guard

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 11 20:58:49 BST 2005

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 10:18, Hans Meine wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 18:04, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > and FWIW, i plan to make the "Run Command" dialog it's own process as
> > well so that it doesn't get blocked by it's parent process running amok
> > or disappear when said parent crashes (today that would be kdesktop)
>
> I don't know what to think of that idea - actually I find that that dialog
> takes long enough to show in many situations (esp. high-load ones, when I
> want to issue a "kill <nnnn>" or the like).  I would prefer making the
> parent stable.. ;-p

of course it wouldn't get started every time you pressed the key combo. that
would be ... silly.

it would be an always-running process that would handle a couple of specific
priority items, much like the current uiserver does for download dialogs. by
keeping the code base small and little to no ability for run time extensinos
(plugins), this would allow it to be kind on resources and help guarantee
stability of these critical bits.

functionality that i could see getting rolled into this app:

 - process table
 - Run Command
 - recent/common apps launch list (currently limited to kicker, leading to
global inconsistencies)
 - maybe splash screen? (to roll its start up in with the desktop start,
saving a bit there)

the latter would mean allowing plugins in for the splash screens, but judging
by the general stability of ksplash (no crash bug reports, a few
theme-specific bugs reported) i don't think this would be a big problem.

--
Aaron J. Seigo