KDE system guard

Michael Olbrich michael-olbrich at web.de
Tue Oct 11 17:58:03 BST 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 06:18:33PM +0200, Hans Meine wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 18:04, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > and FWIW, i plan to make the "Run Command" dialog it's own process as well
> > so that it doesn't get blocked by it's parent process running amok or
> > disappear when said parent crashes (today that would be kdesktop)
>
> I don't know what to think of that idea - actually I find that that dialog
> takes long enough to show in many situations (esp. high-load ones, when I
> want to issue a "kill <nnnn>" or the like).  I would prefer making the parent
> stable.. ;-p
>
> I would also like the "task manager" (which does not have to be that
> full-fledged KSysGuard, this being my <aol> comment) to show up quickly for
> the same reason.

Hmmm, I'm not sure which is faster in high load situations. It's quite
possible that the delay comes from the dcop server. Starting a small
application may be faster.
If not, a small application just for "Run Command" (and maybe the "task
manager") running in the background shouldn't be a problem.

michael