KDE system guard

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Oct 11 14:22:40 BST 2005

On Tuesday 11 of October 2005 15:17, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 12:56, David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 October 2005 14:48, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > Then I would like to propose moving ksysguard to kdeutils.  ksysguard
> > > is neither an application that other applications depend upon (apps/)
> > > nor is it an application that makes up the desktop (workspace/).
> >
> > IIRC it's in kdebase (the "workspace" part of it) because of the
> > desktop-wide shortcut to bring it up (Ctrl+Esc). It's almost like it's
> > part of the window manager except that it's a separate binary; in that
> > sense it makes up the desktop too.
>
> I agree here. Maybe it can be integrated with kwin's feature to kill
> hanging windows.

 No, it can't:

- KWin itself can't create any windows (well, or at least I don't feel like
trying to complicate my life that way)

- It's a window manager, not a process monitor, and somebody can also use some
other WM with KDE

- When KWin kills a window it also tries to kill its application if it can
(which it usually can with modern apps)

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer