KFileDialog patch: auto-select format based on extension.

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Oct 10 11:20:57 BST 2005

Here's a patch for KFileDialog in saving mode:

Clarence added "auto select extension based on format", which is good, however
people still have the problem that they type "foo.txt" without remembering to change
select the format in the filter combo, and as a result they get a native KWord document
named "foo.txt". Or the same for any mismatching combination of an extension and a file format :)

The idea to fix this is: also auto select the output format based on the typed extension,
when there's one. To avoid hidden behavior and nasty surprises, the format changes
in the filter combo immediately when the extension is recognized.

Do you think I should commit this to the 3.5 branch?  (I committed to trunk already)
IMHO it fixes an important usability problem in e.g. KOffice.

It really makes little sense to save a file with an extension .a and format B,
when all of KDE will later on recognize that file as format A due to its extension.