KAction port: do we need to support multiple shortcuts per action?

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Tue Nov 29 16:26:39 GMT 2005

> [: Hamish Rodda :]
> 1) Do people agree with the assessment that multiple shortcuts per
> action is bad for usability?

There is something I was thinking of putting forth for some time, and this
seems a good moment as it concerns shortcuts and usability (though I might
be barking up the wrong tree...)

There is a problem with shortcuts (ctrl- and alt-combinations) when the
*scripts* of interface language and keyboard layouts differ (eg. Russian
interface, English keyboard layout). Then, simply, shortcuts don't work
("wrong" letters are used in ctrl- and alt-combos).

(The things get slightly better if one uses "Include Latin layout" in
layout preferences, then by virtue of X, at least ctrl-combinations with
Latin 1 letters work.)

Gnome handles this in an interesting way, and from what I hear from people
using it, very usable one. First, its keyboard layout chooser uses X
grouping option, introduced since XFree 4.3, for all layouts (unlike KDE's
layout chooser). Then, once user presses ctrl- or alt-combination, Gnome
first tries the letter associated with current layout, and if it doesn't
do anything, it tries letters which are in the same position in other
layouts in the group. This results in seamless operation of shortcuts in
case of interface/layout script mismatch.

How about doing this in KDE as well?

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)