KAction port: do we need to support multiple shortcuts per action?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Nov 29 15:52:24 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 16:05, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My port of KAction to use QAction is progressing well (it even looks
> like QAction could completely replace KAction).  However, it seems that
> having multiple shortcuts per action will not sustainable in the new
> model (from discussions held with Simon Hausmann).
>
> Trolltech considered supporting multiple shortcuts when they were
> writing Qt4, but decided against it, due to the complexity it would
> cause and because it was thought to be bad usability wise.
>
> In KDE, multiple shortcuts are the default for cut/copy/paste, as well
> as occasionally in other places (but are certainly not the norm).

Could you explain more clearly what 'multiple shortcuts' is?

I can imagine 2 things;
* Having more then one complete shortcut per action.
* Having to press multiple keysequences per shortcut. (emacs style)

Is it either of these? Or something else that Qt4 does not support
anymore ?

Thanks.
--
Thomas Zander