KDateTime: next iteration

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Tue Nov 29 13:37:49 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 11:52, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
>On Tuesday 29 November 2005 11:46, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

>> > So we have 1500 types of timezones? One for each possible minute of the
>> > 25-hour span of timezones?
>>
>> No, we have simply a time offset. That is the current state of the
>> discussions.
>>
>> > I thought David listed 5 types.

>> > FISH should be modified to transmit it. All it has to do is set TZ=UTC
>> > before sending anything.
>>
>> Well, as far as I understand, FISH is supposed to work with other FISH
>> servers. (However I am not sure if it is really supported now).
>>
>> Also I am not sure that the TZ trick works on Windows. (However there,
>> /dev/ null is probably a problem too, as reported.)
>>
>> Of course, FISH is only an example. I am sure that there are other cases.
>> (I can think about RFC 2822's -0000 time offset.)
>
>The difference is that KDateTime considers such a time being by default a
>local time, while RFC 2822 assumes that such a time is UTC.

RFC 2822 says:
   The form "+0000" SHOULD be used to indicate a time zone at
   Universal Time.  Though "-0000" also indicates Universal Time, it is
   used to indicate that the time was generated on a system that may be
   in a local time zone other than Universal Time and therefore
   indicates that the date-time contains no information about the local
   time zone.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.