KDateTime: next iteration

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Tue Nov 29 09:15:29 GMT 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 20:50, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>David Jarvie wrote:
>>I attach another iteration of the KDateTime header. The implementation
>> file is at http://www.astrojar.org.uk/linux/download/kdatetime.cpp.
>> This now incorporates all 5 types of "time zone" information which has
>> been discussed:
>>  UTC
>>   Offset from UTC
>
>What's the difference between those two? UTC is UTC + 0 (or -0, if you'd
>rather), so it's the same as an offset from UTC.

On is genuine UTC, which is the basis of all of our time measurement. The
other is a local time which in this case is defined in terms of an offset from
UTC. I think that UTC is important enough to warrant its own type.

>>   Time zone
>>   Local time zone (a special case of "Time zone")
>
>Ok for special case
>
>>   Local clock time (no time zone)
>
>This doesn't make sense to me. What's the rationale behind it? Every time
>must be associated to a timezone, unless we're talking about time
>differences. Or unless we're talking about an "unknown" timezone (which
>means this should fall into the "Local time zone", which is in turn a
>special case of "time zone").
>
>So, by my account, there are only two types:
>1) offset-only
>2) detailed (with latitude, longitude, name and DST historic)

See the earlier thread, for example http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-
devel&m=113302602813074&w=2 onwards. See also http://www.w3.org/TR/timezone/
 for a good description of the different types of time information.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.