Updating SVN docs (Re: Slow SVN checkouts)

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Thu Nov 24 00:39:16 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 12:02, Clarence Dang wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 July 2005 01:26, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 July 2005 12:50, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > > I've just started (!) using SVN and it seems to be slower than CVS by
> > > an order of magnitude on my 28k connection.  Where is compression
> > > configured for a https SVN account?  Anything else I need to configure?
> >
> > Perhaps you can try a trick that I had found when I had problems
> > uploading the KOffice packages. The trick is to configure .ppprc (or
> > another ppp configuration file if it is more useful for you) to have:
> >
> > mtu 296
> > mru 296
> >
> > For me it had made a big difference (V.90 modem, so upload was
> > 28.8Kbits/s too.)
>
> A few months later: yes, my connection in general is much faster now.
>
> I would like to add this info to the SVN tutorial but which one!?:
>
> 1. http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/subversion/
> 2. http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Subversion+HOWTO
> 3. http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/managestep.php

(...)

A the matter comes up again, I would like to add that SVN 1.2.3 seems to be
faster than 1.1.4 for an analog modem and also that if you compile SVN
yourself, you must be careful to use:
./configure --with-ssl --with-zlib
(The --with-zlib part seems to be important but I am not sure that it was
described in the KDE documentation.)

Have a nice day!