Qt->glib main event loop patch (common main loop)

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Nov 15 03:12:24 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 01:35 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > there needs to be a ballance struck, however.
> >
> > There is no reason to compromise on freedom.
>
> as long as we don't confuse "freedom" for "a lack of direction is
> OK". unfortunately, that's exactly where it has currently led us (and
> not just KDE). we have in the past used "freedom" as a friendly word
> that is hard for people to argue against (who wants to be
> anti-freedom?) when what we really mean is "we are inable to make
> decisions" or "it's ok not to serve our user's needs because at least
> this way we aren't making any demands whatsover on any system outside
> of KDE".

That is not what I meant. Sorry if I misunderstood you. There's this
common opinion on Slashdot and elsewhere that KDE and GNOME need to
merge, that having multiple desktops is detrimental to Linux/Unix. The
earlier post I responded to seemed to hint at this.

Maybe I misread Matthias' post, it but sounded like "the Unix desktop is
a mess" because there were too many toolkits. To which I replied  that
it was because of freedom and choice.

--
David Johnson