moving KNotification in kdelibs.

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Mon Nov 14 16:04:36 GMT 2005

Hello.

I have developed KNotiofy, a replacement for KNotifyClient
It is actually in kopete:
http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/KDE/kdenetwork/kopete/libkopete/knotification.cpp
http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/KDE/kdenetwork/kopete/libkopete/knotification.h
The new daemon is in  branches/work/kde4_knotify

New features are:
  - Links in the popup
  - Context dependent notification
  - Application may choose when the popup get closed  (after the message has
been read rather than after a small timeout)

I'd like to move it in kdelibs now,  and move KNotifyClient to Kde3Support

I have few questions:

1) KDE3 compatibility
The config file and dcop calls are different than in KDE3
Converting the config file is easy, and could even be done as a script.
But my question is: should the KNotify daemon still support the old dcop call,
or will the kde3 deamon be launched for kde3 application running under kde4

2) UnitTest
I currently didn't made unit test yet,  but i don't really know what to test.
The current KNotifyClient.

3) Location
KNotifyClient is in kdecore for now,  but KNotification use QWidget, so it
make sens to put it in kdeui
But KAudioPlayer, and KCompletion , which are in kdecore , require
KNotifyClient.
So two solution:  Put KNotification in kdecore,  or move KAudioPlayer and
KCompletion in kdeui.

Thanks for your answer.