KDE (vs GNOME)

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Mon Nov 14 05:16:44 GMT 2005

On Saturday 12 November 2005 02:15, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Friday 11 November 2005 8:36 am, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > On Friday 11 November 2005 15:34, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > Really you guys don't seem to be talking about scriptability,

I'm definitely talking about scriptability. IMO it would be nice to
use XML-GUI for the various context menus, and to have a scripting
API rich enough so that that the existing context menu actions could
be implemented using that scripting API. Also it would be nice if
mainwindow menu actions like remove duplicates could be implemented
with that API.

Using XML-GUI for the context menus would allow users/admins to easily
trim the context menus and mainwindow menus to remove clutter. Having
a rich scripting API would allow them to implement new custom
actions. (New actions could be contained in KParts)

I think Thiago's suggestion of removing advanced functionality in
favor of scripting also merits consideration. With the example of
automatic expiry being an especially good one. The point being
there's no limit to how sophisticated the functionality that users
want is. The UI can just keep on getting more and more complex
without limit.

An alternative to having an application with a complex/rich UI and no
scripting support would be to have a relatively simple base
application with a rich/complex scripting language, and some example
scripts.

> > > but filtering. What if we got rid of the hard coded folders
> > > entirely in KMail and had each "folder" be a filer?  Then the
> > > trash "folder" could just have a filter such as (taking from
> > > the above example):

That sounds like search folders. Which we have, but they would be
better if a fast (and reliable) full text index existed that made the
searching faster.

> > > +"All emails 45 days old + not read + not marked as important"
> > > +"All emails 07 days old + marked as spam"

Expiration settings aren't currently available for search folders, I
guess if they were that would implement this wish.

From my POV just finding time to do basic QA on search folders again
is a higher priority.

> > That would make using other tools over your mail folders (grep,
> > spam filter training, simple backup of important folders, etc...)
> > very difficult.
>
> I don't see why....  KMail could still store them in 'real' folders
> sorted by the filters.  Just as a user I don't have to manually
> sort things, each folder has its own rules to move the files around
> automatically for me.

Well it's an idea, but this could lead to a lot of duplicated
mails/data on disk.

Don Sanders.