KDE (vs GNOME) - Use Case

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Sun Nov 13 23:26:57 GMT 2005

Being aware of pros and cons of implementing user levels, I'd like to add a
specific note that can be considered as a very simple use case of "user levels":

<background>

In Kexi, database app, there is a plan to impleemnt two user levels (1st:
normal==default and 2nd: advanced) mostly because of database-related issues
can be hidden from user's eyes.

1. For "normal" level users will be able to name objects (liek table or query
or form) using any unicode string they want (the only requirement is the name
needs to be unique).

2. For "advanced" level users are required to provide both:
- identifier (which is the same as identifier in most programming languages,
i.e. latin1 string without spaces and so on)
- caption, i.e. optional unicode string. The caption can be then displayed in
any database-user-visible places instead of latin1 name and in the future can
be even translated.

Notes:
-Think about names/captions as about QObject::name()/QWidget::caption().
-Since certain database backends may require latin1 identifiers, these are
created implicity for level 1 (user do not know about this).

There can be more options that defines the difference between the two levels.
User can switch between the levels.

</background>

Summing up: I would use global KDE "user level" setting if available but I
know there can be advanced databases users who are not as advanced in other
areas, like say, spreadsheets. It depends.

Thus, I think the "user levels" could be rather carefully implemented at
applications level, if needed.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska