kcontrol/tweakkde was: Re: KDE (vs GNOME)

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Fri Nov 11 14:42:17 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 6:04 am, Jonas Christian Drewsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 11:14, Stephan Binner wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 November 2005 02:09, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> > > I was just reading the news about Novell and noticed some people are
> > > having It is said a lot that KDE applications are bloated with actions
> > > and The user could choose his skill level globally, on Control Center,
> > > and per
> >
> > User levels don't work, see previous discussions. Citing such reports as
> > argumentation for it is poor and doesn't change this fact.
>
> I think KDE could get rid of lot of bloat by:
>
> 1) Strip Control Center and other setting dialogs to the most common stuff.
>
> 2) Create a new app called e.g. KTweakGui or something that can be used for
> all the special things like text shadows, cursor settings etc.

I am already doing both of these things for KDE4.  I have already done
extensive module cleanup work in svn (kdebase/workspace/kcontrol) and am
playing around with one new interface  in
branches/work/kde4/playground/base/systemsettings/

(A earlier screenshot can be found here:
http://india.troll.no/~bmeyer/pictures/systemsettings_prealpha.png Note that
by clicking on that link and viewing said pixmaps and not compiling the code
you are not allowed to complain about the pre alpha interface mockup I made
on some Saturday long ago and which will not be the final thing)

I have also been in contact with others such as with the Kubuntu guys to
improve the modules.  A scratch page/todo list I have kind of made is here
(not complete):
http://wiki.kde.org/?page=System+Settings

As for TweakKDE I have already made that application and it is located in
playground/utils/tweakkde.  Screenshots:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1454

<put on flame suit>
For the record (because there is always someone who doesn't bother to read the
text in the link) I made tweakkde for options that can break the desktop, no
more, no less.  If you want something different then fork it, the app is to
small for me to argue over.  TweakKDE has NOTHING to do with the simple vs
expert user argument.  If you use the options in my app it probably will
break something.  I honestly think that I can improve kcontrol significantly
for kde4 by limiting my tweakkde to this one requirement and other kcontrol
cleanups that I have planned.
</put on flame suit>

I am always looking for help for kcontrol++ and have given small tasks to
those who were interested.  For KDE4 I hope to furthor get more people
involved in kcontrol.  I haven't been doing this much lately sense I am
working mostly on kdelibs/kdebase and once those settle down then it will be
easier to get people to help.

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox