dcopserver and KDE4

Thomas Braxton brax108 at cox.net
Thu Nov 10 18:08:35 GMT 2005

On Thursday 10 November 2005 11:04 am, George Staikos wrote:

> > >   I would prefer to see evidence why KDE2 apps will no longer work
> > > under KDE4 and why we can't fix that.  Then sure.
> >
> > I don't know what has changed in the various versions of QDataStream, but
> > the last version of KDE2 was against Qt 2.3.1, so DCOP used
> > QDataStream(version 2.1). Since KDE 3.1 we've  been using
> > QDataStream(version 3.1+), so a KDE2 binary probably wouldn't even be
> > able to read the data streamed to it from KDE4 DCOP.
>
>    Ok, that's what I thought.  "I don't know" and "probably".  Let's wait
> until we have a situation where you can say "KDE2 apps -cannot- work
> because X, and X cannot be fixed."
I didn't say they can't be fixed. I just don't think KDE2 *binaries* would
work, since the QDataStream format has changed between versions, the DCOP
wire protocol would be different. But I don't have any KDE2 binaries around
to test. I think with regards to dcopServerFile(), KDE2 _is_ source
compatible, so a recompile would make them binary and wire compatible again.
KDE2 dcopserver would have a problem because it uses it's own version of
dcopServerFile().