dcopserver and KDE4

Thomas Braxton brax108 at cox.net
Thu Nov 10 16:12:33 GMT 2005

On Thursday 10 November 2005 09:23 am, George Staikos wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 08:02, Thomas Braxton wrote:
> > >
> > >   Why?
> >
> > dcopServerFileOld() is deprecated to be removed for KDE4. It's only there
> > for compatibility with KDE2. Will a program compiled for KDE2 even work
> > with KDE4 without being ported? We can't remove dcopServerFileOld() until
> > the last few uses of it are removed.
>
>   I would prefer to see evidence why KDE2 apps will no longer work under
> KDE4 and why we can't fix that.  Then sure.
I don't know what has changed in the various versions of QDataStream, but the
last version of KDE2 was against Qt 2.3.1, so DCOP used QDataStream(version
2.1). Since KDE 3.1 we've  been using QDataStream(version 3.1+), so a KDE2
binary probably wouldn't even be able to read the data streamed to it from
KDE4 DCOP.