KDE (vs GNOME)

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Wed Nov 9 01:02:27 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 06:04, Jonas Christian Drewsen wrote:
> I think KDE could get rid of lot of bloat by:
>
> 1) Strip Control Center and other setting dialogs to the most common stuff.
>
> 2) Create a new app called e.g. KTweakGui or something that can be used for
> all the special things like text shadows, cursor settings etc.
>
> This way KDE will be easy for new users and for common operations. At the
> same time, many things that can only be tweaked by altering settings files
> in .kde/ today, would have a nice GUI too.

I like this idea as well.  Scott and I struggle with JuK in trying to add
features without having to add a "Configure JuK" dialog.  So far we're still
winning but it would be nice in general I think to have the configure dialogs
of the major KDE applications have the necessary options and then have a
KTweakUI for advanced uses.

*but*... how would this actually work in practice?  Seems like it would just
be a split between KControl (useful for everyone) and the theoretical
KTweakUI (useful for advanced).  What I'm mainly talking about is how do we
ensure that although less-needed features are still discoverable if they're
buried in a separate program?

Also, I like Thiago's idea for scriptability, especially if there was a
kdelibs way of managing the scripts.  I mean, if we're going to push this
into many different programs then it would probably be a good idea to get a
feel for how we manage the interface to the scripts so that programs can
share that kind of code, just as we do for keyboard shortcuts and the rest.

But perhaps there's a better option out there?

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne