Proposed new KDateTime class

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Tue Nov 8 22:52:56 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 08 Nov 2005 22:40, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 23:00, David Jarvie wrote:
> > Now that the time zone classes have been updated, there is a need to be
> > able to handle date/times which have an associated time zone. I attach a
> > proposed new kdecore class, KDateTime, which represents a date/time with
> > an associated time zone. The aim is to make time zone handling as
> > automatic as possible when manipulating dates and times. Its interface is
> > very similar to QDateTime, but it is not inherited from QDateTime mainly
> > because QDateTime's methods are not virtual.
> >
> > The code compiles, but I until I finish the test program is untested.
> > Note that if the new class is committed, the time zone classes will need
> > to be amended to handle the new class.
> >
> > Comments please. (Note that I am going away and won't be able to respond
> > for a few days.)
>
> Do you plan something like QDateTime::toString and QDateTime::fromString
> for ISO dates, including time zone handling?
>
> (Also, I am not sure how flexible such functions need to be, I would need
> such them for KBabel saving and loading Gettext PO files.)

Yes, it would be a good idea. There would need to be an extension to the
format codes to be able to specify where and in what format the time zone
should appear. I suggest that the default format would append the abbreviated
code for the time zone to the end of the string.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.