KDE (vs GNOME)

Jonas Christian Drewsen kde at xspect.dk
Tue Nov 8 11:04:28 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 11:14, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 02:09, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> > I was just reading the news about Novell and noticed some people are
> > having It is said a lot that KDE applications are bloated with actions
> > and The user could choose his skill level globally, on Control Center,
> > and per
>
> User levels don't work, see previous discussions. Citing such reports as
> argumentation for it is poor and doesn't change this fact.

I think KDE could get rid of lot of bloat by:

1) Strip Control Center and other setting dialogs to the most common stuff.

2) Create a new app called e.g. KTweakGui or something that can be used for
all the special things like text shadows, cursor settings etc.

This way KDE will be easy for new users and for common operations. At the same
time, many things that can only be tweaked by altering settings files
in .kde/ today, would have a nice GUI too.

The hard part is to decide what is the common stuff :)

Bye,
Jonas