RFC: Avoiding #warning (C/C++ preprocessor extension)

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Nov 1 08:58:13 GMT 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 22:34, Frans Englich wrote:
> The world is way too complex, someone should rewrite it. I who thought it
> was even worth a try to clean up kdelibs and freeze it with -Werror :(

Sure it is, but that does not mean you should commit the flag. Most warnings I
leave in the code are reminders on someone else to pick it up. Like we have
tons of unused name arguments - that are there to be removed. But if someone
will compile with -Werror, he will take the easy way out and remove the
parameter name so that gcc shuts up. That's not the purpose, but that's what
happening if you compile with -Werror.

And SUSE had to remove -Werror from all well intended KDE packages because
gcc4 decided Qt needs way more virtual destructors and warns about it in -Wall
now. Just too bad that adding them to Qt3 is binary incompatible. So good bye
-Werror

Greetings, Stephan