Moving 3.5 development into branches/KDE/3.5

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 31 00:14:37 BST 2005

On Monday 30 May 2005 03:48, Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> > to make PIM development productive is to not require us to fiddle with
> > moving
> > targets (qt 4/kdelibs 4), bc issues, merging and all other related
>
>  stuff.
>
> On the flip side, this means you'll likely have to port to kdelibs that
> look very different from current ones, rather than porting in stages. Pick
> your poison.

yes, it's a trade off:

port now and leave 3.5 more or less behind, incrementally keeping up with a
moving target which is pure hell if you are an app developer

port later and suffer a lot of changes all at once, which is just hell. (as
opposed to "pure hell" ;)

> > Either that, or throwing in more manpower to do the 'real' work. Dealing
> > with
> > merging is just wasting *very* precious time.
>
> Which is why people can't reasonably expect the very few people on KDE4
> porting team to keep up with the 3.5 development all on their own.

i think there is a compromise to be had in realizing that applications will
start porting at different stages according to their priorities and
schedules. so there will be some coordination needed here between "core" and
"KDE applications". i think this also really helps to self-define the lines
between "KDE core" and "KDE applications"

in any case, i'd recommend that "small apps" such as kdeutils, kdetoys,
kdeadmin, etc. be brought over immediately, bar none. ditto with
kdelibs/kdebase (yes, in spite of me dragging my heels for up to another 4
weeks with kicker ;) ...

kdemm probably will want to come over sooner than later too due to the massive
changes they will need, but that's something best expressed by the kdemm
developers.

as for the rest, i'd make it clear to them the issues and let them schedule
their devel switch as it works for them. we should respect those wishes and
not port the code on them in the meantime. many of these projects rarely or
never touch kdelibs/base anyways and so for them following a moving target
until it settles down a wee bit may not be worth it.

there also ought IMHO to be a "final date" set down (not necessary to do it
today, though) whereafter apps either have the choice of porting over or not
being included in KDE4.

--
Aaron J. Seigo