Qt4addons module?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed May 25 21:01:50 BST 2005

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 19:43, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 09:33, Brad Hards wrote:
> > That leads me to wonder if it might we be better off abstracting those
> > parts of kdelibs that are really Qt addons/plugins out of kdelibs, so that
> > they could be used independently of KDE4. The downside is that it would end
> > up being another dependency. The upside is that it might attract non-KDE
> > developers - acting as a focal point for Qt community support, and getting
> > more codecs/image handlers/whatever for KDE.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Brad
>
> Good idea I'd say.
> KStringHandler, KSqueezedTextLabel, KColor, KLed come instantly to my mind and
> there are probably many others too.

KCmdLineArgs would be useful too. And KApplication. And KLibLoader. And  .... wait....
Why should we create a sub-KDE as part of KDE, when you can have it all instead?

With Qt3 there would have been a reason: to gain Windows portability. But with Qt4
this reason disappears. So I don't see the point in a "qt-only kdelibs" (I don't even
know how to name it... kdelibs *is* qt only in the first place...)