Konqueror CRASH 3.4.1 [The need for better quality control]

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun May 22 03:03:54 BST 2005

On Saturday 21 May 2005 04:58, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> The release should have been more widely publicised.  Would it be

it was pretty well announced:  kde-cvs-announce at kde.org,
kde-core-devel at kde.org, kde-i18n-doc at kde.org, kde-packager at kde.org

it wasn't kept quiet.

> When I learned of the release, I moved isolating the problem and filing
> a report to the top of my to do list.

great =)

> I have previously stated that we need to quit using the "old Detroit"
> method of quality control.  The "old Detroit" method is that first you
> build something, then you inspect it, and, LAST, you try to fix what is
> wrong with it.  The Demming method (TQM) is that you build it right (to
> start with).

lectures and rediculous expectations are not "the answer". here's something
that _might_ work, however:

track the current stable branch. filter the kde-cvs email list for all branch/
commits, test each of those commits as they occur. then it won't be a "wait
until we near release" to do this testing.

this would take a few people, i imagine, but if you lead with example and
recruit others on, say, kde-quality and elsewhere to join you in those
efforts (leading by example would be key) i'm sure you could round up the
necessary manpower to help with this issue.

--
Aaron J. Seigo