QUrl in KDE 4

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri May 20 09:39:13 BST 2005

> URI filters are applied when *typing* a UR[LI], not when clicking on one.
> Imagine if webpages started using <a href="gg:foo"> :)

Actually, in a couple of special cases that would make even sense.
Examples are link highlighting in irc clients, messaging applications or
mail clients. Instead of homebrewn support for just a couple of them it
would be able to even highlight bug:123 or dict:blah properly and without
code duplication in all those apps.

> Sure, but how would it work? What do you use instead of
> openURLRequest(const KURL&)
> if the url can be a QUrl or a QString/KPseudoURL?

No, the URL would always be a [QK]URL. If a pseudo-url is passed (like
bug:123, gg:foobar, ed2k:blah or mailto:me at somewhere.com) it is converted
to a valid URI internally. Think URI filters, but then always used and not
just when a user types something. Perhaps URIConverter would be a better
name.

> This is all unnecessary messy for nothing.

I agree that it can end up getting messy. I can't judge the 'for nothing'
part, I was just asking whether the URI filter paradigm can be used or
extended, I'm far from an expert on the subject.

Martijn