Eclipse (Was: KDE 4 namespaces)

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Sat May 14 12:26:48 BST 2005

On Friday 13 May 2005 22:40, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Speaking of Eclipse, I noticed that last month a new beta version of the
> C++ support was released(CDT 3.0 M6), has anyone tried that in combination
> with KDE? Is it any good? See http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/

You prompted me to give it a try, and it's suprisingly good, though not
perfect. I only tried a short qt-based project, and the basic features
(reference search, auto-completion) worked quite well, to the level where I
think I'll try to work on Rosegarden with it.

There are 3 indexers available, ctags, "original indexer", and "DOM/AST
indexer". Only the "original indexer" seem to work properly.

The only drawbacks I could find are that it obviously doesn't know about 'moc'
so you can't tell it to manage your makefiles for you (I wonder if it will
grok scons output), and autocompletion yields private stuff (though it's
clearly marked as such), and on Qt type it shows all the meta object methods.
This certainly can be fixed if you're willing to write some Java. Eclipse's
plugins are quite easy to deal with.

Oh, one more thing : it seems it has no code formatting whatsoever :-(.
("Format" doesn't do anything).

I'd still recommend people to give it a try.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org