Check for license on commit

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Wed May 11 07:57:27 BST 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Benjamin Meyer wrote:

> In my personal svn I have added the following pre-commit check to make sure
> that every file that I add/modify has a proper license.  There are a lot of
> files inside KDE that do not conform to the KDE licencing policy (daily
> report: http://kde.icefox.net/tests/report.html).  What do you think of
> adding this to the pre-commit hook script to prevent more source without a
> license?

Will this check be fatal (I abort a commit) or just issue warning? If the
behavior is the former I would oppose making the license check a hard
requirement. There will always be cases where the script check files (e.g.
3rd party files) and it will be a big pain if one is barred from commiting
them without modifiying the license check first.

Having a warning in the log or commit process is something else, of
course.

Harri.