KDE 4 namespaces

Christian Stoitner Christian.Stoitner at gmx.net
Mon May 9 16:00:36 BST 2005

On Monday, 9. May 2005 12:37, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 09 May 2005 14:29, Ilkka Hakkari wrote:
> > On Monday 09 May 2005 11:25, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > > As beginner you would not just have to figure you want KConfig, no
> > > you would need to figure what name space is that in, what clashes
> > > a use "KDE::Core" introduces, what class names you will have to prefix
> > > to make it compile again, etc. etc. For little to no gain.
> >
> > As a beginner KDE programmer I would like to see more use of namespaces
> > in KDE libraries. It really is somewhat pain in the ass to try to figure
> > out where actually is some class coming from.
>
> You'll have the same problem with Qt then... QString and QLineEdit come
> from differeet libs, but they both start with Q.
> What can help for this, other than documentation, is #include
> <QtCore/QString> vs #include <QtGui/QLineEdit>, so maybe we want to do the
> same in KDE
>
> > One thing is the most important: consistency.
>
> ... with Qt? Then this means not using namespaces :)

I'am also a newbe, but i think Ilkka is right.

Why do you have to do everything like trolltech? as far as i know Qt doesn't
use namespaces because Qt runs on embeded systems too.

and at first kde itself should be constent. this means: use namespaces
everywhere or nowhere. everthing else is confusing...