desktop/kicker + icon placement

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 2 17:20:43 BST 2005

On Tuesday 19 November 2024 06:05, Martin Koller wrote:
> I'm convinced, that a user does not want the icons to jump around when the
> workarea temporarily gets larger because of a hidden kicker (as it will
> reappear sooner or later).

the problem is, as Seli pointed out, that this is used for more than just
desktop icons.

the best heuristics to my mind are:

	o new icons should be created within the workspace, so that new icons are
never hidden

	o only when a _new_ panel is created or an existing panel moves/changes size
should icons that would otherwise be obscured be moved out of the way of that
panel

	o icons should be otherwise stationary

this would prevent icons from inadvertently getting covered up, allow users to
put icons where they please and not have them hopping about all the time.

it's the second point (action on new panel creation) that would require some
work. what's needed is a separate "visible screen area" rect maintained by
kicker specifically for desktop icon usage, since they have different needs
from windows.

--
Aaron J. Seigo