Fonts in a KDE application

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Mar 31 18:10:00 BST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:

> Let's be clear here:
>
> > The fonts we would use consist in:
> > - the ttf file
> > - the license as a txt file (GPL version 2) that would be put in a
> > data/fonts folder in the source.
>
> I have NO other file nor did I find any source (I don't even know what a font
> source is but those fonts are distributed under the GPL as ttf+license).
> Please don't answer "look for a source file" , I won't find any.
>
> So either a source file is needed and let's forget this whole thing
> or it's OK like that and there's to clear the install method.

TTF fonts _are_ editable source files. An application like pfaedit can open
a ttf font for editing. It's not like metafont where you have a source file
that is compiled into the font. If there's a license, and the license is embedded
into the font, too (easy to check with pfaedit) then that should be enough for
anyone who doesn't want to be intentionally obnoxious.

Boudewijn Rempt