Need help with serious kssl problem

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sat Mar 19 10:42:01 GMT 2005

During testing of KDE 3.4 on FreeBSD 4.11, I found that TLS connections in
kmail don't work anymore. I've poked around the code a bit, added a few
kdDebug messages and tracked it down to kssl, but I'm pretty stumped now. I've
even reverted all of kio/kssl to KDE_3_3_2_RELEASE, with no effect. At this
point, I think I really need some help by somebody who understands this
stuff. :-)

Example debug output:

kio_imap: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION
STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision, Inc.  See
COPYING for distribution information.
kio_imap:
kio_imap: IMAP4: setHost: capability
kio_imap: 'imap4rev1'
kio_imap: 'uidplus'
kio_imap: 'children'
kio_imap: 'namespace'
kio_imap: 'thread=orderedsubject'
kio_imap: 'thread=references'
kio_imap: 'sort'
kio_imap: 'quota'
kio_imap: 'idle'
kio_imap: 'acl'
kio_imap: 'acl2=union'
kio_imap: 'starttls'
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: Undefined symbol "PKCS7_content_free"
kssl: KSSL TLS initialize
kssl: d->m_ctx == 0L
kssl: WARNING: TLSInit failed!
kssl: KSSL close

The last four debug lines are normally invisible, "KSSL TLS initialize/close"
are commented out in the sources, "d->m_ctx" is added by me
(kio/kssl/kssl.cc, line 143) as is the "TLSinit failed!" warning
(kio/kio/tcpslavebase.cpp, line 458).

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org