Cervisia again, plus greater problems

Andras Mantia amantia at kdewebdev.org
Thu Mar 17 07:23:27 GMT 2005

> FWIW, the reason I mention quanta explicitly is that (unlike konqueror)
> it goes out of its way to locate the cervisia kpart.  That is, it's not
> just looking for any parts that raise their hands, but it's seeking out
> cervisia specifically.  I had a feeling that kdevelop did this also, but
> I could be wrong; I'm not a kdevelop user or packager.

Quanta loads whatever is configured. It is very easy to modify the default
configuration so it does not show the Cervisia plugin in menus.

But as I said earlier(and which is the same what David Johnson said) I
don't see a problem loading KParts in GPL programs, whatever license those
parts have. I remember that 2-3 years ago I asked on the kde-core-devel or
kde-devel if it will be possible to use a non-GPL compatible editor which
implements the KTextEditor interface in Quanta (or KDevelop for that
matter), and I think nobody said I cannot, but (Waldo?) replayed that this
should be allowed.
>From the GPL FAQ, I think Kpart fall in this category (altough I don't
know the *eaact* KPart behavior):
"If the program dynamically links plug-ins, but the communication between
them is limited to invoking the `main' function of the plug-in with some
options and waiting for it to return, that is a borderline case. "

Andras