KDE3.4RC1: Incompatibility

Martin Ellis kde at martinellis.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 22:52:09 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 March 2005 21:45, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > But you won't get around that with a C API.  Without operator
> > overloading you can't fix:
> >
> > GString *s = g_string_new("foo");
> > gchar c = s[10];

OK. Good point.

BTW, maybe lists have semantic checking, but the array code I've
looked at certainly doesn't.
Either way, it's not hugely important if people are coding stuff like
this.

On Monday 14 Mar 2005 22:22, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> So let's fix the code that uses it (by making it use Qt or at least
> libstdc++) rather than reinventing the same crap

I agree this is the best long term solution.

> Fixing the apps that use it to use something else (QtCore from Qt
> 4.0 seems a good choice) shouldn't be too hard, just time
> consuming...

Indeed.  I would have done this for some glib-based
code already, if only I actually had that time. ;-(

Martin