(gcc 2.95 support) kdeextragear-1/amarok/src

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 08:56:24 GMT 2005

On Saturday 12 March 2005 19:35, Henry Miller wrote:
> On Thursday 10 March 2005 07:27, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > >
> > > How much longer do we have to support gcc 2.95 for? I must say I
> > > have a great deal of distaste that we must make our code more
> > > ugly for the sake of an old compiler. I do understand that people
> > > want to continue to use it, but I just wonder how much longer
> > > they will do so. Thanks,
> >
> > Until it is no longer the system compiler on a supported platform.
> > That includes Debian stable and FreeBSD 4-STABLE. For the FBSD
> > side, 4.11 was just released and 4-STABLE is now called "legacy". I
> > believe it will be retired in a year. Um, no:
>
> Gcc3 is a supported compiler for FreeBSD-4 for user programs.   2.95
> is the system compiler, but it is trivial to install both.  2.95 is
> the only compiler that correctly compiles the kernel/userland.   For
> everything not FreeBSD you can choose.

> I'm running FreeBSD 4-stable on one of my systems, and I've compiled
> KDE with gcc3.   There are already supported ports in FreeBSD 4 that
> require gcc3, so there is precedent.

The problem here is that if you compile ANY C++ program with either of
the compilers, you MUST compile all other C++ programs with the same
compiler due to the C++ ABI changes between 2.95.x and 3.xx

> I'm not on the FreeBSD kde team.  I can't say if they want to figure
> out the magic needed to have kde compile with gcc3.   They can do it
> though, so this isn't a critical concern.

I am on the FreeBSD KDE team, and we cannot force any user to have to
recompile all their userland apps with a different compiler. It is as
simple as that.

If they choose to rebuild everything with gcc3 (as you have chosen to
do), that is their decision. It's not ours, as packagers, to make.

A.
Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org
  we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."  -- anon  | tap at fruitsalad.org