KDE3.4RC1: Incompatibility

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sun Mar 13 20:54:51 GMT 2005

On Sunday 13 March 2005 21:50, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Wow, a glib abstraction layer! That's the best idea I've ever heard on the
> subject. This is indeed the only sane way we avoid needless duplication,
> and still be able to make the most out of libraries or applications
> originally designed for gnome.

Huh?  This is kind of a dumb idea, actually.  What will you gain by replacing
a well maintained C library with a Qt-based implementation of its API?

I know, I know -- it's tough to install a small-ish C library, but how exactly
will it be easier to install a rewrite of it?

I mean, arguments against glib are one thing from a design perspective are one
thing, but reimplementing the same API just because zealotry is exciting is
just kind of silly.  Anyway.  Feel free to do so.  See how many distros ship
the Qt version.  ;-)

-Scott

--
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest
person to fool.