Compilation with srcdir != builddir

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Mar 11 15:15:16 GMT 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 16:06, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Is there interest in compilation of kde in a directory different from the
> build dir?

By definition, you compile KDE in the build dir. From your subject, I suppose
you mean "different from the source dir".

Yes, there is interest. I do it about 3 times a day, for the whole KDE CVS
tree (nonbeta and nox excepted, and only 7 languages from i18n). Package
builders do this pretty often, as well.

> I'm interested in supporting this feature in the kdenox module, and I need
> to add various -I($top_builddir)/xxx to include directories for the various
> generated files.

That's not strange at all -- developers who happen to compile with srcdir ==
builddir tend to create Makefile.am's that don't work right with generated
headers and stuff like that. They tend to get fixed pretty quick.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot