(gcc 2.95 support) kdeextragear-1/amarok/src

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Thu Mar 10 19:16:56 GMT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 10. März 2005 19:43 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> >> How much longer do we have to support gcc 2.95 for? I must say I have
> >> a great deal of distaste that we must make our code more ugly for the
> >> sake of an old compiler. I do understand that people want to continue
> >> to use it, but I just wonder how much longer they will do so. Thanks,
>
> At least for all 3.x releases, since we promised to.
>
> For KDE 4, I'd like to see that revised. gcc 2.95 will be 6 years old by
> then. I say we move gcc 2.95 support from "required" to "would be nice".

Which effectively means it support becomes terminally broken.

[...]
> >RELENG_4_11  4.11-RELEASE  Extended  January 25, 2005  January 31, 2007

[...]
> Also, take a look at the emails sent just after 3.3.0 was released. We had
> a bug/crash in our code that was caused by a miscompilation. The gcc
> developers won't fix it.

As a software writer you can't count on compiler vendors fixing their bugs.
It's easier and more effective to work around them.

> So, why are we supporting a broken compiler that won't be fixed? I'm not
> talking about missing features...

Broad portability means broad support of compilers. Hence, making use of the
latest and greatest C++-standard features will reduce portability for KDE.

> >Oh, if you're moaning about having to support gcc 2.95, be glad that KDE
> >doesn't officially support any of the other C++ compilers out there,
> > which are even more picky.
>
> I'd like to see some more strictness added to our code, yes. Every time a
> new gcc version is released, we have to do that anyways.

I support that, too. But just as we banned C99 code for KDE development
because of portability reasons, we should also similarly restrict the use of
very advanced C++-standard functionality, especially when it can be worked
around easily.

mfg
	Leo