(gcc 2.95 support) kdeextragear-1/amarok/src

Adriaan de Groot A.deGroot at cs.ru.nl
Thu Mar 10 13:27:23 GMT 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 02:04, Max Howell wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 10:39, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > Move function-local class definitions outside of the functions, so they
> > are module-local. The reason for doing this is that gcc 2.95 barfs during
> > linking with function-local classes with vtables (near as I can read the
> > error messages).
>
> How much longer do we have to support gcc 2.95 for? I must say I have a
> great deal of distaste that we must make our code more ugly for the sake of
> an old compiler. I do understand that people want to continue to use it,
> but I just wonder how much longer they will do so. Thanks,

Until it is no longer the system compiler on a supported platform. That
includes Debian stable and FreeBSD 4-STABLE. For the FBSD side, 4.11 was just
released and 4-STABLE is now called "legacy". I believe it will be retired in
a year. Um, no:

RELENG_4_11  4.11-RELEASE  Extended  January 25, 2005  January 31, 2007

(That's release date and EOL; so now you know how long gcc 2.95 needs to be
supported; Debian will probably take it another 10 years longer). Note that
there is a chance that the KDE-FreeBSD team will deprecate 4-STABLE before
then, since it's just not a happening platform for desktop machines anymore.

Oh, if you're moaning about having to support gcc 2.95, be glad that KDE
doesn't officially support any of the other C++ compilers out there, which
are even more picky.

--
Automata / PVS / Tools /
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot