SVG thumbnail viewers

Nikolas Zimmermann wildfox at kde.org
Wed Mar 9 17:14:42 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 18:00, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Could you comment on the two thumbnail viewers for SVG in KDE CVS?
> (See Konqueror->View->Preview)
>
> One is svgthumbnail.desktop from kdegraphics/ksvg/plugin/
> the other one is picturethumbnail.desktop from kdebase/kioslave/thumbnail/
>
> Can one of those be removed? Which one?
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

Hi Waldo,

well svgthumbnail from ksvg(1) uses ksvg to do the actual rendering,
and the picturethumbnail uses Qt SVG, which for instance doesn't
support AA - and most advanced svg features. I'd suggest to remove
the previewing for image/svg+xml from the thumbnail ioslave - though
what happens if ksvg is not installed? Can we provide some kind of
fallback mechanism - or is it just not worth the trouble?

FYI ksvg(1) has been stopped working on for more than a year,
though we're working hard on a replacment, which lives in kdenonbeta...

Bye
 Bye
  Niko