khexedit2 shows up everywhere

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Sun Mar 6 17:50:23 GMT 2005

Hi Shaheed,

(no need to cc: me, I'm subscribed :)

Am Sonntag, 6. März 2005 16:11, schrieb Shaheed:
> It seems to me that this problem is exactly equivalent to the problem of
> filter chain in KOffice, which was solved using a wieghting system using
> for example:
>
> X-KDE-Weight=50
>
> Wouldn't that be a more generic and existing mechanism?

No, this problem is different I guess:
When there is no mimetype handler (registered) at all for a given mimetype the
KTrader's answer still includes all those handlers that deal with base
mimetypes of the mimetype. But base mimetypes usually are not what is wanted
per default when viewing some file. E.g. when requesting a viewing handler
for a xhtml file you are seldomly keen to get a xml viewer or the plain text
viewer or the byte viewer.
And the answer is not to set all this viewers to AllowDefault=false ;) they
might be the primary viewer once and in a while, even a hex viewer (for
binary blobs one has no special viewer given, e.g. binary executables).

So IMHO the answer to this problem is to be able to query the trader to give
only those handlers that explictly show the given mimetype and not only some
base type.

Regards
Friedrich