Fwd: [desktopcon-announce] 2005 Desktop Developers' Conference

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Mar 3 22:19:11 GMT 2005

Subject: [desktopcon-announce] 2005 Desktop Developers' Conference
Date: Thursday 03 March 2005 10:24
From: "Andrew J. Hutton" <ajh at desktopcon.org>
To: desktopcon-announce at lists.linuxsymposium.org

Announcing the 2005 Desktop Developers' Conference.  The Call for Papers
follows.  We will be repeating the conference for a second year in a row
for 2005 and encourage you to distribute the call for papers and the
website url (http://www.desktopcon.org/) to anyone who might be
interested in desktop infrastructure development.

As always we are seeking interesting submissions from a wide range of
participants on issues that are core to getting a good, free desktop
environment.

If you have any questions at all or your company might be interested in
sponsoring the event please contact ajh at desktopcon.org.

Call For Papers
While we do not require formal papers to be submitted to present at the
Desktop Developers' Conference we are happy to accept them and include
them in the conference proceedings.

Step 1.
Submit Proposal
Proposals are your chance to sell the topic to the review committee. The
review committee is responsible for determining what topics and format
will best serve the event. Your proposal must be between 1000 and 1500
characters in length and detail what your topic is, why you feel it is
important as well as your target audience.

You will also be required to submit a personal biography of up to 1000
characters at the same time as your proposal. Biographies must be
submitted written in the third-person. Proposals will only be accepted
from March 1st, 2005 until May 1st, 2005.

Step 2.
Committee Review
The programme committee will review your proposal per the guidelines
above, contacting you via email with any questions or comments.
Notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent by May 15th, 2005.

Step 3
Submit Abstract
Abstracts of up to two paragraphs or less with a maximum of 2500
characters are due two weeks from the date of the acceptance of your
proposal. The abstract will be published on our website and in the
programme. The abstract must convey the basics of what your paper or
presentation will address.

Step 4
Paper Submission
Papers must be formatted using the provided LaTeX template. If you
require assistance please allow for a minimum of 2 weeks lead time prior
to any published deadline. You may email questions to papers at
desktopcon.org for assistance.

Final papers must be submitted using the website interface in tar format
containing all the templates, images, and scripts required to build.
Correctly formatted papers must be submitted prior to June 1st, 2005.

Step 5
Live Presentation
Presentation formats will be variable depending on the topic, audience,
and other factors. Please make sure that your proposal addresses these
issues.

An XGA (1024x768) LCD projector will be available to display output from
a laptop computer. If you will require additional AV equipment please
specify this in your proposal.

Fine Print
Publication Rights
The conference requires non-exclusive publication rights to submitted
papers including the publication of audio and video proceedings.
Copyright is retained by the author. We do ask that we be the first
organisation to publish any given paper.

Failure to Submit
In the event that a deadline is missed we reserve the right to revoke
any offer to present.

Review Committee
Jim Gettys, HP
Andrew Hutton, Steamballoon