System bell mess

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 18:13:20 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 12:46 am, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> I think I have to shed a bit of light onto the System bell mess:
>
> The mess comes from the fact that we have two "bells" and two different
> options in two different KCMs that do something different but sound
> similar if you think that we only have one bell.

Thanks for clearing this up Gunnar.

> > Note that "kcmshell bell" is the same as Control Center -> Sound &
> > Multimedia -> System Bell.  So this appears to be a bug.
>
> I do not see a bug in there. With "kcmshell bell" you open the "Sound &
> Multimedia -> System Bell" KCM just as you use "kcmshell kcmaccess" in
> order to open the "Regional and Accessibility -> Accessibility" KCM. Or do
> you think that it should read "kcmshell kcmbell" instead?

My point was that when run as "kcmshell bell", it records the setting in
kcmshellrc, and when run from Control Center, it records the setting in
kcontrolrc.  Isn't this a bug?

> > Is everyone else as confused as I am. :/
>
> This question can either be answerd with "No" or it will stay unanswered as
> one person who is not confused is enough to say "No".

I apologize.  I was expressing my own confusion (badly).  It was not my
intention to insult or be flippant.  Please forgive me.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer