Known "showstoppers"?

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Tue Mar 1 09:09:59 GMT 2005

Am Samstag, 26. Februar 2005 12:19 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 20:01, George Staikos wrote:

> > > So kopete would start kmail, load the addressbook, close kmail.
> > > Then konversation would start kmail, load the addressbook, close
> > > kmail. Then korgac would start kmail, load the calendar, and close
> > > kmail. And maybe korganizer is started by the session management,
> > > so kmail would be started a fourth time, and quit immediately
> > > afterwards. This just doesn't make sens.
> >
> >   It does make sense, but the solution is clearly more complicated
> > than the developers are willing to implement at this time.  For
> > instance, having the ability to read this data out of the kmail
> > cache, or having a centralized process (that for instance terminates
> > after x minutes of inactivity).  There are lots of solutions.
>
> Yes, it's a design flaw. Unfortunately, we got aware of it too late. We
> (well, mainly Till) plan to move the corresponding code out of kmail to
> a library.

There is also another use case for this: Applications (e.g. also commercial Qt
applications or OpenOffice scripts) sending emails by dcop. Right now kmail
needs to be started and it isn't necessarily. What is needed is a desktop
service being available at all time - of course without using much
ressources ;-)

> I don't think there's a quick&dirty solution for KDE 3.4. Yes, we could
> start kmail without main window and with mail checking disabled. But
> the problem is that it won't be possible to start Kontact with embedded
> mail component afterwards because kmail's kernel must only run once
> (either in Kontact or in the standalong KMail). Killing the hidden
> kmail when Kontact is started would surely lead to a racing condition,
> especially during session restoration. So I don't think that's an
> option.

I hope you guys find a solution for 3.5. I am looking forward to it :-)

Cheers,
eva

> >   As it stands, this is a heavy penalty that kdepim imposes on KDE.
> > Do the DAV resources suffer the same problems, or is this purely IMAP
> > resource specific?
>
> It should be purely IMAP resource specific because only the IMAP
> resource uses kmail for accessing its data.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

basysKom GmbH
The Software Development Company