[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Jun 28 19:03:38 BST 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:17:57AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 June 2005 10:45, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Reiterating from my former mail; showing the user a new (forced) hierarchy
> > again is not an improvement over the current situation.
>
> it's not as good as a search & context centric design can and will be, but
> it's certainly an improvement over the current situation where there is no
> single point of entry.
>
> just because something isn't as good as something else, doesn't mean it's not
> better than what we have.
>
> i think this is a pragmatic and innexpensive step forward.

The system:// thingy is cool, I fully agree with you on that.
Providing a home:/ as a new entry point for the user is what I have an issue
with as it is expensive (new concept to learn in an already covered domain).

The initial email went on about providing home:/ instead of $HOME; I have
a problem with *that* replacement.
Lets just say I want to try it before I can say its a good thing to make it
the default url for your home button.

--
Thomas Zander