[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 26 19:09:41 BST 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 19:59, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 26 June 2005 19:53, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Apart from that I'm wondering whether those special URLs will be
> > i18n'ed. If not then what good are those special URLs for people
> > who don't speak English?
>
> You can't translate urls (well it wouldn't make much sense).
> But the point here is that when browsing system:/ in the first place,
> you can click on the "Home" icon (which *is* translated) and back up
> to where you started from.
> Maybe starting from home:/ is where the problem is ;)

Shouldn't the home:/ URL then be completely hidden from the user? In
Konqueror we already remove the file: from all URLs. So we could as
well replace home:/ by some translated string. Basically we need a
transformation between internal URL representation and visual
human-readable representation. This will probably not be easy, in
particular, since we'd have to do it everywhere where the user is
confronted with a URL. But bothering the user with home:/ or system:/
or settings:/ URLs is lame. If you want to hide technical details like
the Unix file system hierarchy from the user then why should he be
exposed to the technical details of URL-syntax.

Regards,
Ingo