[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Jun 26 16:41:12 BST 2005

Hi,

On Sunday 26 June 2005 13:03, Kévin Ottens wrote:
> Le Dimanche 26 Juin 2005 01:03, Gábor Lehel a écrit :
> > Not related to your actual question, but wouldn't it make sense to
> > have system:/ point at applications:/ as well?
>
> No idea really... I'd personnaly prefer to keep the amount of entry in
> system:/ as low as possible. settings:/ seem interesting to have at hand
> (even if I could easily consider ditching them since kcontrol is there),
> but I don't see a real use case for applications:/, you generally use the
> kmenu to launch something.

I just wanted to ask the same, how about adding applications:/ to system:/ ?
system:/ right now feels a bit incomplete.
Now you can do the following starting from system:/
-browse the local file system
-browse remote file systems
-manage the thrash
-manage the storage devices
-change settings

IMO missing there:
-start applications (applications:/)
-manage printing (print:/)

This would make system:/ the place from where you can do everything, only
using the mouse and konqy.
Btw. the Finder on OS X also provides something similar to the
"applications"-ioslave. You select "Applications" from the menu and it takes
you to the root directory where all the OS X applications bundles live. This
is the primary way to start applications on OS X which are not in the dock.

Since I didn't try the home:/ ioslave yet, I don't understand exactly what it
does. How would it be possible to reach system:/ from home:/ ? Can you please
explain a bit more ?

Bye
Alex