Icon parameters in *.desktop files

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Thu Jun 23 20:42:18 BST 2005

Le jeudi 23 juin 2005 à 15:00 -0400, Rodney Dawes a écrit :
> No, the icon theme would not have to know about all applications out
> there. Applications should provide their own application icons really.
> And if any theme is going to ever cover every single icon on the desktop
> that might ever appear, it is going to have to know about every app
> anyway. I wouldn't expect icon themes to provide icons for many of the
> applications available in the wild.

For better integration, icons from the icon theme should be used as much
as possible. When you have a set of blue vector icons, getting a few
bitmap icons that don't fit in the theme for applications isn't pleasing
for the eye.

> As for it having to be slow, do you have any proof? It would be much
> faster, as it would get rid of actual files, and thus would avoid the
> stat on the file nodes, no? No symlinks is faster than a giant farm of
> them, right?

For each application, you would have to search through all available
icons to see which ones are suitable.
: :' :           josselin.mouette at ens-lyon.org
`. `'                        joss at debian.org