Camera RAW thumbnail generator

Steffen Hansen hansen at kde.org
Mon Jun 20 22:48:44 BST 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 22:16, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Monday 20 June 2005 22:22, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> > * Steffen Hansen <hansen at kde.org> [Jun 20. 2005 21:49]:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I hacked up a thumbnail generator for RAW camera files (based on
> > > Dave Coffin's parse.c) a while ago. Is there any interest in
> > > having this in kdegraphics/kfile-plugins/ ?
> >
> > YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
> > YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
> > YES YES
> >
> > Thank you ohhhh so much!
>
> Oh, and Steffen... If you would like to help out with a RAW import
> module for Krita, being from now on the official RAW guru, please
> don't hesitate to contact me... I'll promise to help with all the
> tedious bits.

Hehe. Don't expect too much. The code does basically the same as the
powertoy RAW Viewer that Microsoft just released for XP: It uses the
embedded preview JPG in the RAW file for creating the thumbnail.

My short-term ambitions are to get the code into kdegraphics as is and
then add code for extracting basic meta-info like iso, shutter-time and
aperture.

Anyway, I take the positive response as a sign that I wont get flamed
for checking the code in. I'm out of town right now, but I'll check it
in as soon as time permits.

I have not looked into decoding any of the real RAW image data (besides
a few experiments). Did you look at some of the gimp plugins for this?
To get something usable (ie. something that allows interactive
adjustmentws), dcraw can be used at most for decoding and bayer
de-mosaicing. The output from there would be a 16-bit per channel RGB
image that Krita should should gamma-adjust, black/white-point adjust
and so on. I expect that it is rather non-trivial to get quality
comparable to the commercial RAW processors :-)

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se