KIconLoader improvements: icon server

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Tue Jun 14 17:02:54 BST 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 9:33 am, Gustavo Pichorim Boiko wrote:
> Hi
>
> There has been a discussion on kde-optimize about KIconLoader improvements.
> I'm working to create an icon server that is used to share icons between
> applications. The original idea and its initial implementation is from
> Lubos Lunak.
> The idea is to have a daemon running
[snip]
> I have been playing with it and it is quite stable. I have some results (I
> didn't measure memory usage yet, just time for loading icons) that I want
> you to take a look:
>
> test1: 369 icons (32x32)
> w/o disk cache: 3628 ms
> cached: 361 ms
> iconserver: 74 ms
> ------------------------
> test2: 222 icons (48x48)
> w/o disk cache: 2262 ms
> cached: 322 ms
> iconserver: 35ms
> ------------------------
> test3: 774 icons (32x32)
> w/o disk cache: 4974 ms
> cached: 1170 ms
> iconserver: 709 ms
>
> The patch for this icon server is attached.
> Please take it a look and give me a feedback about that.
>
> Thanks in advance

Can it be?  real numbers and stats?  :)  Thanks for adding these real numbers
to show that it is better vs a hunch.

Would you be able to generate some stats on the number of icons that are
shared across applications?  I am just wondering if there only a few dozen
images that are shared and it wont scale much beyond that and if that is the
best we could get is adding the extra layer of complexity worth it? In KDE4
there is a lot of talk moving the toolbars to seven or so important action
with large icons with text.  This would cut down on many of the icons that
are loaded.

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox