Build system for KDE4

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jun 14 15:46:12 BST 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 16:38, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> All this "it needs man page support", "it needs to support kdeinit", etc all come down
> to this: "it needs to be extended easily without duplicating tons of code as we don't
> know what the future brings"

Right. Other features that would be nice to have (now that unsermake got us used to it) :
- incremental make install (only install the files that have changed)
- make $KDEDIR/lib/libkio.la (mostly related to the one above since it's about proper dependencies for target dir)
- modularity (being able to put everything that an app needs into its subdir, like we do with configure.in.in)

About solutions: I have a personal dislike for cmake syntax too, qmake is far too limited,
so I thought scons was the only solution, but this boost build thing looks interesting.