KIconLoader improvements: icon server

Gustavo Pichorim Boiko gustavo.boiko at kdemail.net
Tue Jun 14 14:33:43 BST 2005

Hi

There has been a discussion on kde-optimize about KIconLoader improvements.
I'm working to create an icon server that is used to share icons between
applications. The original idea and its initial implementation is from Lubos
Lunak.
The idea is to have a daemon running which publishes icons and stay
refcounting their usage. When an application requests an icon to KIconLoader,
it checks for the icon in a cache file which contains just the key and the X
resource id for the icon. If the icon is there, it creates a pixmap using the
given resource id (sharing the pixmap in the X server). If the icon is not
there, it queue the icon to be sent to the server.

One problem I had (and I want a little help on that) is when using
KUniqueApplication. When it forks, there is a race condition on the DCOP
calls (when the KIconLoader is created, it checks for the iconserver to be
running using a DCOP call). Simply commenting the dc->setPriorityCall(true)
lines in kuniqueapplication.cpp solved the problem, but I don't think that is
the best way of doing it, help is appreciated.

I have been playing with it and it is quite stable. I have some results (I
didn't measure memory usage yet, just time for loading icons) that I want you
to take a look:

test1: 369 icons (32x32)
w/o disk cache: 3628 ms
cached: 361 ms
iconserver: 74 ms
------------------------
test2: 222 icons (48x48)
w/o disk cache: 2262 ms
cached: 322 ms
iconserver: 35ms
------------------------
test3: 774 icons (32x32)
w/o disk cache: 4974 ms
cached: 1170 ms
iconserver: 709 ms

The patch for this icon server is attached.
Please take it a look and give me a feedback about that.

Thanks in advance

--
 Gustavo Pichorim Boiko
  KDE Developer		Computer Science - UFPR